Best Dog Food for Chihuahua Puppy: Choose a Puppy Formula Suitable for your Small Breed
There are two varieties of Chihuahua recognized by the AKC– the Smooth Coat (shorthaired) and the Long Coat (longhaired). Both the Smooth and the Long Coats have their special attractions and are equally easy to keep clean and well-groomed. The UK Kennel Club considers the two as distinct breeds; matings between the two are not eligible for KC registration.
Dogs of either coat type may be identified as either “apple head” or “deer head” Chihuahuas, particularly in the United States. Apple heads have rounded heads, close-set eyes, and relatively short ears and legs. Deer heads have flat-topped heads, more widely set eyes, larger ears, and longer, more slender legs. While deer heads were popular in the mid-20th century, current breed standards defined by registries such as the AKC specify the apple-head conformation. Read More from (Wikipedia)
Although nutrition is something that every dog owner must pay close attention to, searching for the best food for Chihuahua Puppy can get tricky at times. While some might argue that any dog food can be administered to these puppies, Chihuahua is a breed that’s slightly different as compared to others and different dietary options need to be looked at.
Firstly, it must be realized that a Chihuahua Puppy is small and for this furry animal to stay in a state of physical and mental well-being, it is necessary to take care of the diverse dietary requirements. In the subsequent sections, we shall talk about the procedure behind selecting the best food items for Chihuahua Puppy besides enlisting 10 of the best options which can be administered, depending on size, the extent of allergies, digestive issues, and more.
Things to Consider before zeroing in on the Food Items
Before picking up a food item for Chihuahua Puppy it is necessary to look at the nutritional profile associated with the same. Firstly, these puppies need to get stronger with time and grow into muscular adults. Therefore, food items that boost immunity and build muscle are important to choose from. Moreover, in order to avoid unnecessary weight gain, owners must also keep a check on the portion size as well.
Owners need to know that smaller Chihuahua Puppies are at risk of catching issues pertaining to diabetes or rather a hypoglycemia. Therefore, carbohydrates shouldn’t be added in excess to the food items and owners must take care of the same.
How Balanced Nutrition Looks Like?
For Chihuahua puppies to grow in size and strength, it is important that they are offered food items that are complete in regards to the nutrition profile. Moreover, every life stage of a Chihuahua needs to be looked at as the dietary requirements do change with age. For instance, puppy food should be administered with for a period of 9 months and after that, the animal must be treated as an adult. In addition to that, four portions are typically enough for this smaller breed. However, multiple servings can also be fed provided the sizes are smaller to avoid bloating.
In addition to that, one must know that Chihuahuas are better at digesting food as compared to other breed courtesy minimal intestinal permeability and therefore better gastric emptying capability.
Best Dog Food for Chihuahua Puppy: 10 products that stand out
Here are some of the best options which can be selected for the Chihuahua puppies:
1. Royal Canin Chihuahua Puppy Dry Food
This is popular dog food for Chihuahua puppies and can be fed to them for almost a period of 8 months or slightly more. While some owners might just prefer wet food variants for the dogs, certain portions should comprise of dry dog food in order to improve certain digestive aspects. This is a complete dog food with a decent mineral and vitamin profile to look at. Moreover, the availability of natural flavors and the existence of minimal fillers further add to the credibility of the same.
- Comprises of highly digestible sources of protein
- Chewable kibbles to smaller puppies
2. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Puppy Food
Here is one of the best selling dry dog food for Chihuahua puppy that is fortified with some essential ingredients for targeting the immunity of the animals. While this food is made of natural and delicious ingredients, it also eliminates the existence of soy and other preservatives in the best possible manner. Wellness Complete Health Natural is a small breed puppy food for Chihuahua Puppy.
- Best food for Chihuahua puppy in regards to the brain and cognitive development
- All natural ingredients that are further fortified for bone and muscle development
3. Hill’s Science Diet Small Paws Puppy Dry Food
Science diet food variant is precisely designed for toy breed and smaller dogs that prefer smaller kibbles and minimal flavors. The chicken and barely recipe work perfectly for the smaller puppies and the existing amino acid profile is potent enough when it comes to rendering strength and support to these animals.
- Ample quantities of DHA for increasing learning and cognitive functionality of the dog
- High-quality fish oil residues for eye development
- Near perfect amino acid profile
4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Small Breed Chicken & Rice Formula —Dry Dog Food
Even carbohydrates, when fed in moderation, are important for the growth and overall development of the Chihuahua puppies. This is where Purina Pro Plan dog food comes into the play as it offers a highly dedicated and completely natural chicken and rice concoction for the puppies to eat. Moreover, the smaller kibble size is an additional attribute that makes it one of the better food options for the puppies.
- Rich in important antioxidants
- No fillers and unnatural preservatives
- Blend of phosphorus, calcium, and other minerals for bone strengthening
- Rich in Omega acids and fish oil for improved nourishment
5. Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Natural Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo dog food option is made up of real chicken and contains zero grains, thereby aiding in additional digestive care. What makes this an automatic choice is the proven instance of muscle development in transitioning puppies! Moreover, this food item comes forth with an adequate balance of protein and carbohydrates for the overall development of the Chihuahua puppy.
- A perfect blend of antioxidants for a better immune health
- Enhanced with minerals and vitamins
- Decent profile of DHA, Fish oil, Fatty acids, and other essentials for brain and even eye development
6. Castor & Pollux Organix Grain Free Organic Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
For owners looking to offer something extra to their Chihuahua puppies, Castor and Pollux Grain Free dog food variant come in handy. What makes this different is the ample addition of superfoods like organic blueberries, flaxseed, coconut oil, and a host of other ingredients. Moreover, despite being an exclusive food item, the prices are quite competitive, to say the least.
- Ample quantities of superfood and additional levels of necessary growth hormones
- Added quantities of DHA for cognitive development
7. Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
This grain-free food variant is tailored perfectly for the Chihuahua puppies with additional emphasis taste and smaller kibble size. Moreover, all natural ingredients are used for manufacturing this item. Therefore, it wouldn’t be wrong to tag this as the best dry dog food brand for a Chihuahua puppy that has allergic tendencies.
- A perfect concoction of Omega 3 and fatty acids that facilitate shinier and softer coat in puppies
- The balanced nutritional profile for animals that need to keep a check on calories
8. Taste of The Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food
Here is a dietary option for puppies that is rich in superfoods, antioxidants, and amino acids. Moreover, regular administration of this food item facilities development of stronger and leaner muscles. What makes this a sought after the option is the existence of minimal fillers and a host of completely natural ingredients!
- Ample quantities of probiotics for the proper functioning of the Gastrointestinal tract
- Helps in the development of the shinier and softer coat
9. Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Small Breed
Wellness Core dog food is a grain free variant made up of premium ingredients, including chicken, turkey, and other necessary entities. However, despite having these items in abundance there are no fillers and preservatives in play. Lastly, the balanced nutritional profile is what makes this one of the best dog food options for the Chihuahua puppy.
- Availability of premium ingredients and a grain free profile
- Balanced nutritional profile that typically emphasizes on higher protein content
10. Nutro Ultra Small Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
While some stores aren’t offering this at present, this dry dog food variant is a sought after option, especially for Chihuahua owners. The best thing about Nutro Ultra dog food is the availability of 12 superfoods and a protein-rich profile. Moreover, the existence of healthy carbohydrates, involving whole grains allows owners to use this as a food option for the transitioning puppies.
- Smaller kibble for hassle-free consumption
- Brain development support courtesy a balanced DHA profile
Now when we have listed some of the best food variants for the Chihuahua puppy, the final choice is left to the owners, depending on the budget, physical state of the animal, and even the age. Whatever be the requirement, owners must always look for options that assist in the proper mental and physical development of these puppies.