Best Food for Golden Retriever Puppies: Dietary Options for our Best Friends
Needless to say, a golden retriever is probably the best thing that happened to us, in terms of loyalty and camaraderie. However, in order to keep them in good health, it is important to take on the dietary requirements besides arranging for a proper medical checkup and even hydration. Owners need to understand that it might be a bit tricky to identify the best food for a golden retriever puppy as there are multiple dog food variants available in the market. What needs to be taken care of is that these puppies are extremely attractive and usually grow up as some of the best-looking dogs in the entire locality. Therefore, each one of the selected food options must cater to their beautiful coat and the enviable personality without causing internal digestive issues.
The Golden Retriever is a large breed of dog bred as gun dogs to retrieve shot waterfowl, such as ducks and upland game birds, during hunting and shooting parties, and were named ‘retriever’ because of their ability to retrieve shot game undamaged (soft mouth). Golden retrievers have an instinctive love of water and are easy to train to basic or advanced obedience standards. They are a long-coated breed, with a dense inner coat that provides them with adequate warmth in the outdoors, and an outer coat that lies flat against their bodies and repels water. Golden retrievers are well suited to residency in suburban or country environments. Read More from (Wikipedia)
Things to Consider before zeroing in on the Food Items
Golden retrievers are beautiful inside out and have enchanting personalities say the least. However, before selecting the food options it is important to note that two lines or rather sub-breeds existing pertaining to this highly attractive dog breed. Firstly, there is the working line of retrievers that are precisely used for training and official purposes. The second breed is more about the show-line that comprises of digging that remain merely as pets without a lot of additional chores to do. Therefore, it is important to identify the lines and choose food options accordingly, in order to cater to diverse digestive stages of the concerned puppy.
In addition to the sub-breed, owners must realize the weight of the puppy before drafting a feeding schedule for the same. Firstly, it is necessary to assess the puppy physically before taking the final call. Nutrition requirements and feeding schedule for underweight, overweight, and normal puppies should vary to a considerable extent.
How Balanced Nutrition Looks Like?
For golden retriever puppies, the feeding frequency might even go up to 4 times a day as smaller dogs have a faster metabolism in comparison to the adults. About 1.5 to 2 cups of daily food is advisable which needs to be split out in equal proportions. As the puppy starts growing i.e. around 6 months old, even 3.5 cups can be offered, depending on the weight. Nutritional balance also needs to be looked at and once the puppy starts growing into an adult, 4 cups, properly segregated into 4 servings can also be administered.
For a balanced nutritional profile, people need to administer both dry and wet food variants to the golden retrievers. Moreover, the profile might also vary for a transitioning dog and even for the animal which might have allergies.
Best Food for Golden Retriever Puppies: 10 products that stand out
Here are some of the best food products which cater to every golden retriever, regardless of gut health, nutritional profile, and other considerations:
1. Royal Canin— Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin is a Puppy dry dog food product that does a great job and completing the set of nutritional requirements without breaking the bank. Moreover, this product is suitable for puppies with straight muzzles and even scissor bites where chewing needs to be administered properly. The most important thing is that it is quite popular with dogs.
- Rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty acids which help maintain a shiny and furry coat
- Properly dosed profile of L-carnitine, which aids in joint and muscle development
- Rich in antioxidants, which complement the existing minerals and vitamin profile
2. Hill’s Science Diet— Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet large breed dry dog food variant is a well-recommended one, especially by renowned veterinary doctors. What stands out is the extremely well-sought out food profile which typically involves lamb-rice and chicken-oats versions, depending on digestibility and even taste of the concerned dog.
- High quality, nutrient profiles, including essential amino acids and minerals
- A rich supply of chondroitin for extremely efficient joint movement
- Adequate levels of calcium and Glucosamine
3. Nutro Large Breed— Wet Dog Food
This wet dog food product is highly recommended as there are multiple recipes with pictures, including chicken pate, chicken and turkey, and even lamb in gravy. The extensive chunk-style texture and multiple recipes keep the dogs wanting for more.
- No presence of artificial ingredients
- Real protein diet with no fillers
4. Merrick Classic— Canned Dog Food
This food product is comprised of deboned turkey bits and ready for consumption. Moreover, the company doesn’t add any artificial colours or flavours to improve the taste. What’s best about this product is that it can be used as a wet food entrée or rather as intermittent snacking options.
- Comprises of a balanced profile with additions being sweet potatoes, apples, and carrots
- Nutrient-rich profile with ample quantities of protein and complex carbs for simplifying digestion
5. Royal Canin— MAXI Puppy Dry Dog Food
Probably the best food for golden retriever puppy at a transitioning state, this product offers optimal security to the existing digestive tract for the growing pups. In addition to that, puppies that are slowly entering adulthood can also benefit from this food variant courtesy the moderate energy supply mechanism.
- Maintains excellent coat condition
- Adequate addition of nutrients for stronger bones and muscles
6. Royal Canin— Golden Retriever Adult Dog Food
What stands out is that this product is manufactured typically for the growing dogs and can be administered even to the adults. While this might not be the best food for golden retriever puppy, it has all the ingredients to be the best alternative for the adult dogs.
- Kibble shaped for different muzzles which makes it easier to pick and chew
- Promotes shinier coat courtesy rich nutrient profile and addition of EPA and DHA
- Adequate levels of taurine for better cardiac health
7. Hill’s Science Diet— Large Breed Dry Dog Food
This exceptionally balanced product is sufficient enough to guarantee a healthier immune system within a span of 3 months. The ideal composition makes it a great choice, in regards to mobility enhancement and even joint development.
- Helps maintain proper digestive health
- Nutrient-rich profile and extremely competitive pricing
8. Hill’s Science Diet— Perfect Weight Dry Dog Food
This is one dry dog food option that helps the golden retrievers maintain steady weight without compromising on nutrition. Needless to say, overweight dogs can be administered this dog food with miraculous results.
- No artificial flavors and colors
- Lean muscle gain is guaranteed as the real chicken is used to make this food variant
- Adequate levels of Vitamin C and Vitamin A followed by an extended blend of antioxidants
9. IAMS Proactive Health— Large Breed Dry Dog food
IAMS Proactive Health dog food Primarily made up of chicken, this product is often hailed as one of the best food for golden retriever puppy courtesy the addition of real chicken and a host of other micronutrients. The excellent quality on offer is sufficient for the transitioning dogs and helps maintain and even promote strong muscles.
- The inclusion of L-carnitine for burning additional fat and even maintaining an efficient metabolism
- Addition of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine for treating osteoarthritis
- Rich nutrient profile for maintaining stronger bones and muscles
10. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient— Dry Dog Food
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient dry food variant is known for the grain free consistency and formulated especially for dogs with issues pertaining to allergies. One can choose from Lamb and brown rice or Duck and Potato variants, depending on the food preferences of the puppy.
- Smaller kibble that’s specially formulated for smaller puppies that find it hard to chew elongated pieces
- Addition of vitamins, minerals, and ample levels of DHA for helping dogs maintain proper brain health
- Best food for golden retriever puppy in regards to maintaining overall health and strengthening the immune system.
A golden retriever is nothing short of a treasure and the concerned owners must take excellent care of its dietary preferences, in order to maintain proper health. One can choose between any of the aforementioned products, depending on preferences for wet and dry, transitioning, and even allergy-free variants.