Best Puppy Food for Boxers: Here is How to Plan their Dietary Schedule
A boxer puppy is probably the best thing to have but it’s quite important to fix its dietary schedule for keeping the same in good health. The best puppy food option for boxers isn’t hard to find but what’s tricky is to select the ones with the best nutritional profile. Moreover, like any other breed of dog, a boxer also needs to be fed only at certain times as a puppy or even an adult dog might experience digestive issues if fed within shorter time intervals.
In the subsequent sections, we shall look at the most important things which need to be understood or managed before selecting the food options for the boxers. Boxers are beautiful creatures and it is the responsibility of the owners to keep them in excellent mental and physical condition by identifying and administering the best food products.
The Boxer is a medium-sized, short-haired breed of dog, developed in Germany. The coat is smooth and tight-fitting; colors are fawn brindled or white, with or without white markings. Boxers are brachycephalic (they have broad, short skulls), have a square muzzle, mandibular prognathism (an underbite), very strong jaws, and a powerful bite ideal for hanging on to large prey. The Boxer was bred from the Old English Bulldog and the now extinct Bullenbeisser which became extinct by crossbreeding rather than by a decadence of the breed. The purpose of the crossbreeding was the wish to eliminate the excessive white color of the breed and the necessity of producing thousands of dogs for one of the most popular breeds in the world. The Boxer is part of the Molosser group. This group is a category of solidly built, large dog breeds that all descend from the same common ancestor, the large shepherd dog known as a Molossus. The Boxer is a member of the Working Group. Read More from (Wikipedia)
Things to Consider before zeroing in on the Food Items
For a boxer puppy, it is not only about the best puppy food option but also about the feeding timeline which can also determine the health of the animal. While puppies can be fed twice or thrice on a daily basis, once the boxer puppy starts growing, the owner needs to adjust the portion sizes and even revisit the feeding timeline, if required. Both mealtimes and portions depend on the age and vitality of the concerned puppy.
How Balanced Nutrition Looks Like?
The balanced nutrition profile for a boxer puppy isn’t as straightforward as it seems. Instead, the proper quantity of protein, carbohydrates, and even fats depend on the weight of the dog. Usually, the best case scenario would be to offer protein in abundance i.e. at least 25 percent of the total caloric value. The fat content should be somewhere in the ballpark of 9 to 15 percent. Another aspect that needs to be taken into consideration is the calcium to phosphorus ratio— something that’s quite important for the boxer puppy while growing up. There are times when the AAFCO tag on the puppy works well as it lays down the guidelines in regards to micro and macronutrients.
Although, when to feed the boxer puppy is of substantial importance, what to offer as food is something that boxer owners must also look at quite closely. Nontraditional approaches are good but it is always advisable to opt for products that offer protein, fats, and even complex carbohydrates in abundance. In regards to the food texture, owners must administer both dry and wet food variants, depending upon the preferences.
Best Puppy Food for Boxers: 10 products that stand out
Here are some of the best food products which cater to every golden retriever, regardless of gut health, nutritional profile, and other considerations:
1. Royal Canin Breed— Boxer Puppy Dry Food
The dry kibble is extremely easy to pick up and chew; thereby simplifying the food administering process for boxer owners. Moreover, this food item is rich in protein with almost 28 percent of the same available within. Lastly, the existing profile of minerals, vitamins, and even prebiotics come in handy for the boxes, making it one of the best adult boxer dog food.
- Higher concentration of antioxidants
- Additional levels of L-carnitine
- Capable of amplifying and even fixing the immune system
- Perfect choice of decent gut health
2. Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food for Large Breed
One of the best puppy foods for boxers, this product is also the most recommended one, precisely from the perspective of a veterinary doctor. While this product originally hails from North America, it is slowly but steadily gaining precedence right across the globe.
- The perfect combination of glucosamine and chondroitin that supports exceptional and healthy joint development
- Enriched and powerful profile with an abundance of Vitamin C and Vitamin E for a healthier immune system and furrier coat
- Ample quantities of antioxidants
3. IAMS Proactive Health— Dry Dog Food
Here is another vet recommended food product that also qualifies in the category of the best food for boxer puppies. What stands out is the extensive profile of more than 22 vitamins and essential minerals, making way for a better immune system and healthier joints.
- DHA and even Omega-3 fatty acids are added in abundance for a better looking coat
- This product also guarantees a better mental health and even assists is overall development
4. Blue Buffalo Wilderness— Wet Dog Food
This product comprises of a grain free profile with real meat and minimal to no fillers. The protein-rich turkey added along with some of the essential nutrients makes this one of the best food options for boxers. Moreover, this product also offers essential fatty-acids, something that’s present in the mother’s milk. No thickening sources are added in an effort to make this a pure variant.
- Perfect food option for retinal health and cognitive learning
- Uses deboned turkey and even grilled chicken bits for enhancing the flavor
- Meat rich servings for proper muscle growth
5. Taste of Wild— Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Here is a product that is hard to find at stores but certainly worth the effort taken by the boxer owners. Firstly, the complete profile is made up of real meat which is rich in essential and non-essential amino acids. Moreover, the kibble is quite small and allows puppies to pick the food up with considerable ease.
- Contains super foods in the form of antioxidants
- Highly digestible ingredients which are great for the boxer gut
- Proper addition of proprietary prebiotics for aiding in better digestive health
6. Nulo Puppy— Dry Food
This dry food variant contains minimal additives and preservatives, including zero corn, soy, and wheat-specific residues. The high meat blend makes it a great choice for the transitioning boxers. Moreover, there are only minimal carbs added to the overall nutrient profile and that too with low glycemic index.
- The existence of BC30 or rather a patented probiotic that aids in proper digestive health.
- Good bacteria population proliferates inside the gut and results in a stronger immune system and better metabolism
- DHA supplemented variant for better cognitive development
- Exceptional and balanced profile of phosphorus and calcium for better nerve impulses and blood coagulation
7. The Honest Kitchen— Human Grade Dog Food
There are multiple food variants associated with this product including ‘wild caught fish’, ‘ranch raised beef’, and a few more. Apart from that, this is one of the best food options for boxers as human grade items are added along beside additional dehydrated items for better digestibility.
- Multiple flavors which cater well to boxers with diverse preferences
- Non-GMO additions with an extremely nutrient-rich profile
- Different sized packs are available for different puppies and adults
8. Nature’s Variety Instinct— Raw Dog Food
Precisely manufactured for large breed puppies, this food item has a lot in store for the growing dogs. Firstly, the nutrient profile is made up of high protein and the kibbles are extremely well-sized for the boxers to pick them up with ease. Moreover, no artificial flavors and ingredients are added to the same.
- Makes it a case to add a raw form of nutrition to the entire profile; thereby making it easier for the boxers to digest
- A decent DHA profile for proper eye and brain development
- Last but not the least, the calcium to phosphorus ratio is something to look forward to
9. Natural Balance Limited— Dry Dog Food
This is one dry dog food with proportionate kibble size and adequate amounts of DHA for better cognitive health. What’s remarkable about this product is that there are no artificial flavors and colors added to the overall texture for accentuating the taste.
- Perfectly designed kibble for smaller jaws and boxers with eating issues
- Proper neural development is guaranteed courtesy the extremely rich amino profile
10. Nulo Freestyle Limited— Grain Free Dog Food
This is a Non-GMO product with multiple taste variants to choose from. The exquisitely cut salmon and pieces of turkey cater to the diverse boxer puppies. Moreover, there are no additional fillers in the form of eggs, peas, soy, or potato. This is best dog food for boxers with sensitive stomachs
- Comes with additional probiotic support
- Low carb formula that keeps unnecessary weight gain at bay
- Extremely easy on the stomach
While these are some of the best food options for the boxer puppies and adults alike, the list goes on and one in regards to selecting the most potent one for this breed. However, the owners must always consult a veterinary physician before zeroing in on the best food choices for this highly attractive breed.