For my dog, what is the healthiest dog food? Many dog owners find themselves asking this query. Many people have trouble finding good dog food for their pets because many products contain artificial ingredients and fake meat.
Owners must seek out nutritious food choices for their dogs in order to provide them with the nutrition they need to live a long and happy life.
Good dog food with high-quality ingredients would not only increase a dog’s overall quality of life, but it will also make their coats shinier, their teeth healthier, and their weight more manageable.
Key Ingredients of Healthy Dog Foods
When it comes to essential ingredients for their dog’s food, each owner can have their own preferences. Although some people believe that real meat is the finest, others prefer to eat food that is free of fillers.
Overall, there are some key ingredients to look for when choosing healthy dog foods for your pet.
Real Meat Options. It’s ideal to find a dog food that contains real meat. Canines are carnivores, meaning they need meat to satisfy both their appetite and their natural instincts. Instead of merely stating that the product contains meat or poultry, the label should specify which type of animal the meat came from, such as lamb, chicken, or beef.
Meat As #1 (And #2) Ingredients. It’s ideal to find a dog food that contains real meat. Canines are carnivores, meaning they need meat to satisfy both their appetite and their natural instincts. Instead of merely stating that the product contains meat or poultry, the label should specify which type of animal the meat came from, such as lamb, chicken, or beef.
No Fillers. Cereal by-products, corn bran, and peanut hulls are only a few examples of fillers. These fillers can quickly fill a dog’s stomach, but they provide little nutritional value.
No Artificial Preservatives. Artificial preservatives are additives that are added to dog food to extend its shelf life. It’s bad to eat, and it’s linked to a variety of pet health issues.
Vegetables. Vegetables are required by dogs in the same way as they are required by humans. It’s best to look for dog food with a vegetable listed as one of the first few ingredients. Corn is the only one to avoid because it is difficult for dogs to eat and is commonly used as a filler.
The best dog food brands provide essential ingredients and avoid the filler choices found in many common brands on the market.
Top Healthy Dog Food Picks
These brands are commonly considered to be among the healthiest dog foods available today. We’ll go over the key features and benefits of each dog food brand, as well as the advantages and disadvantages.
Always keep in mind that the healthiest dog food is the one that works best for your dog. Since each dog responds differently to various dog foods, there is no single “healthiest” dog food brand.
We discovered while testing these organic dog foods that even with the highest quality ingredients and highest endorsements, some owners reported that their dog’s stomach upset or skin responded abnormally. Every dog is unique, so finding the right food for your dog will most likely be a trial and error operation.
Start with this list of the healthiest dog foods and see which one works best for your four-legged companion!
Farmers Market Pet Food Premium Natural Dry Dog Food
The Farmer’s Dog is a fresh dog food company that offers custom-made, high-quality dog food. When you sign up, a short online survey is used to gather information about your dog’s activity level, age, and a number of other factors.
The Farmer’s Dog is one of the first fresh dog food businesses, so they’ve been around for a long time.
Each of their recipes (beef, turkey, or pork) is made with The Farmer’s Dog’s proprietary nutrient blend to ensure that your dog gets all of the nutrients he needs. To make feeding time easier, the food comes in pre-portioned baggies.
This is an especially good food to try if your dog is a picky eater!
- Food is cooked in USDA kitchens, which are the same kitchens that cook your food!
- Meal plans are tailored to the person, and food is delivered after a few days of preparation.
- Each shipment includes biodegradable insulation materials that can be composted or dissolved in water.
- Your dog will drool over this high-quality, customised, freshly cooked dog food.
- The Farmer’s Dog, like all fresh dog foods, isn’t inexpensive. However, since trials are 50% off, even more, budget-conscious owners should give it a shot.
Ollie’s Healthy Turkey Fare
Ollie’s Healthy Turkey Fare is high-quality dog food made with organic, human-grade ingredients. It doesn’t get any more normal than this!
Ollie dog food is made from high-quality ingredients and is free of fillers (such as maize, soy, or wheat), preservatives, and artificial ingredients.
Each of Ollie’s dog food recipes (Healthy Turkey Feast, Hearty Beef Eats, Chicken Goodness, and Tasty Lamb Fare) is created by a trained veterinarian using only the highest quality meats sourced from American and Australian farms.
- There are no fillers, preservatives, or artificial additives in this new, raw dog food.
- Quality meats are sourced from farms in the United States and Australia.
- With the included custom scooper, portioning is easy, preventing overeating and obesity.
- Ollie comes with a money-back guarantee: if your dog doesn’t like the food, you won’t be charged!
Ollie is a high-quality, ultra-healthy dog food that contains no fillers, chemicals, or anything else you wouldn’t want in your dog’s bowl. We also appreciate the focus on small-batch, minimally processed cooking, which helps your pet preserve nutrients.
- Ollie is a quite high-end, human-grade dog food, and as a result, it’s very pricey!
Pet Plate Chompin’ Chicken
Chompin’ Chicken by Pet Plate is another human-grade dog food from the Pet Plate business.
Your dog will enjoy new, vet-designed, pre-cooked meals from Pet Plate. This stuff is certainly a step up from kibble, with USDA meat, fresh produce, and a special supplement mix.
You won’t have to worry about feeding Fido too much or too little because Pet Plate’s food comes in pre-portioned containers. Plus, since the containers are microwave secure, you can heat them up in under a minute and feed your dog right away!
- USDA poultry, fresh produce, and a special supplement blend are used in these veterinarian-designed recipes.
- Cooked ahead of time and packaged in pre-portioned containers
- Produced in the USA, human-grade quality with no chemical ingredients.
- Guaranteed money back
- USDA meat and super-high-quality ingredients. Furthermore, pre-portioned microwaveable containers make feeding your dog a nutritious meal ridiculously simple and fool-proof.
- Pet Plate, like most dog foods, has a high price tag because of its high quality.
Nature’s Logic Dog Food Canine Meal
About: Nature’s Logic Sardine Meal Feast is a high-quality dog food kibble that comes in a number of recipes, including duck and salmon, as well as rabbit.
Nature’s Logic foods are generally of high quality, so don’t be afraid to look at their whole line of kibbles.
- Extremely High Quality. Nature’s Logic is one of the few high-quality dry dog foods available. In reality, a sardine meal is listed first on the ingredient list (a fairly unique protein).
- Grain-Inclusive is a term used to describe a product that is grain-free. Nature’s Logic includes high-quality grain sources like millet in its grain-inclusive formulas.
- There are no artificial additives in this product. Nature’s Logic contains no artificially synthesized vitamins, minerals, or amino acids, as well as no artificial colors, tastes, or preservatives.
- Nature’s Logic is a highly protein-dense diet, and with special proteins like sardines and rabbit, as well as balanced millet grains, it’s easy to see why.
- This ultra-high-quality kibble comes at a premium, which is typical of higher-quality foods.
Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food With Roasted Bison And Roasted Venison
About Taste of the Wild: Taste of the Wild is a high-protein, grain-free dog food with added benefits including probiotics, fruits and vegetables, antioxidants, and a blend of vitamins and minerals.
- Bag weighing 30 pounds. A big 30-pound bag of Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food is available. This will last a long time for your dog. If you choose, you can buy smaller bags for a cheaper price, but larger bags give the best value per pound of dog food.
- Bison and venison are two of the most common game animals. Bison and venison are two of the most common ingredients in this dog food (if your dog loves venison, you can even try dog foods that rely on venison as the single protein source). These lean meats provide the protein and nutrition that a dog needs. You may also opt for lamb, salmon, or wildfowl, which are all excellent meat choices.
- Fruits and vegetables are added as needed. Taste of the Wild dog food contains not only real meat, but also plenty of fruits and vegetables. These nutritious ingredients are added to the food, giving extra nutrients to any dog that eats it.
- Taste of the Wild is a grain-free choice, which many owners appreciate. This nutritious holistic dog food is high in protein and high antioxidants, which help maintain a healthy immune system.
- This brand triggered a bad skin reaction in some dogs, according to their owners. In the end, all dogs have different reactions to different forms of dog food. While most owners rave about Taste of the Wild, you’ll have to wait and see how your dog responds.
Also, See Top 6 Taste Of The Wild Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
About: Blue Buffalo Life Protection dog food guarantees a nutritious diet for your dog, with recipes that focus on real meats (the first ingredients in this recipe are deboned lamb and fish meal – two meat proteins at the top of the ingredient list is always a good thing).
- The Life Protection formula, which is seen here, is for dogs of all breeds and ages, but Blue Buffalo also offers custom age and breed-based formulas as well.
- Bits from LifeSource LifeSource parts are available under the Blue Buffalo Life Protection name. These are specially formulated dog food bits that include a blend of the healthiest ingredients, including whole grains, antioxidants, fruits, vitamins, and minerals, all specifically blended to produce a healthier dog food choice.
- Bag weighing 30 pounds. For dog owners who want their food to last a long time, Blue Buffalo provides a 30-pound bag of food. If you don’t want to commit to the 30lb pack, it’s also available in smaller sizes.
- Brown Rice with Lamb. Lamb and brown rice is one of the best ingredient combinations. It combines lean meat and a whole grain alternative. There’s also a lean meat option with chicken and brown rice, as well as other lean meat options.
- Many customers believe that Blue Buffalo aids in weight loss and keeps their dogs’ coats lustrous. Blue Buffalo is a popular choice among dog owners who want to feed their pets raw, organic foods. Blue Buffalo’s slogan is very fitting: “love them like family, feed them like family.”
- Some customers say that this dog food company gave their dogs stomach problems because some dogs are allergic to the ingredients. Although a dog with a particular condition will not do well with Blue Buffalo, the vast majority of dogs can devour and thrive on it, as with all dog foods.
Do I Need to Be Concerned About DCM and Taurine Deficiency?
Owners should be aware of the alarming rise in dogs with dilated cardiomyopathy, according to new findings (DCM).
This rise in DCM has caused a lot of uncertainty and misunderstanding. BEG diets, according to some veterinarians, are the source of the problem (Boutique, Exotic, Grain-free). Some people believe that the ingredients used to substitute grains in grain-free diets (such as lentils, chickpeas, and potatoes) are harmful.
Nobody knows for sure what is causing the rise in DCM events.
Researchers have yet to determine what is at the root of the problem, and although numerous hypotheses exist, there is no definitive response.
It’s possible that the interactions of the materials, the heat treatment, or the food processing are to blame, rather than any individual ingredients.
In general, you should feed your dog high-quality, animal-based proteins and avoid dog foods that depend on plant-source proteins as their primary protein sources, as this has always been the case.
Many dogs are good on BEG diets. Although not all of them. Finally, it’s probably better to discuss your questions with your veterinarian, since they’ll be up to date on any recent study findings. Talking to your vet about your dog’s diet is especially important if your dog is from a breed that is considered to be prone to DCM (Doberman Pinscher, Boxer, Irish Wolfhound, and Great Dane, & others)
It’s also worth remembering that the majority of dogs diagnosed with DCM today do not have low taurine levels. Many dog owners advocate for taurine supplements in their dogs’ diets, but taurine levels are also irrelevant.
That concludes our list of the healthiest dog foods. Do any of the things on this list appeal to you? What do you think is the healthiest dog food?